Thursday, September 30, 2010

My Canadian Sweetheart

First of all, I want to say Congratulations! to my friend James on his recent engagement!!

Gates and I got engaged on October 19, 2009.

He picked me up from the airport that evening and we went back to his apartment. When I walked into his room, I noticed what looked like a childrens book next to the bed. The cover was a split screen. On the left was a Penguin wearing a USA scarf and standing in front of a city skyline. On the right was a Turtle wearing a baseball cap with a red maple leaf on it, standing in front of some mountains.

I sat on the bed and read the story of Erin the American Penguin and Gates the Canadian Turtle.

Each page was beautifully illustrated and showed scenes from different stages in our relationship. As I got toward the end of the book, Gates the Turtle gave Erin the Penguin some roses, each colored rose representing something different. On the second to last page, Gates the Turtle handed Erin the Penguin a huge heart and asked, “Will you marry me?”

Of course, by now I was nearly blinded with tears and my Gates was down on his knees beside me, asking me to be his wife.

He wrote me a book! He even had our friend Ahms (our Ancient Sun guild master and an art student out in California) illustrate it for him.

It was the sweetest, cutest, bestest (yes, bestest) proposal in the entire world.

And, yes, Gates is the sweetest, cutest, bestest man I've ever met!

(Cover of our Engagement Book with my engagement ring sitting on it.)


(My roses and the book open to the page with the roses.)

No comments:

Post a Comment